Skincare is something you cannot and should not invest in before properly trying out on your skin, for atleast a week. Its an “investment” I say, because we can all agree that skin care these days does not come cheap! If that darn thing does not work, then God help your wallet!
I have been receiving generous amount of samples with my purchases for the last few months and had made up my mind to actually use them and try things out rather than just stowing them away till they were past their “best before” dates. This actually came at a good time because, I was going to travel and decided to carry plenty of samples to not just minimize the load but also to actually put them to some use. I already have a pretty streamlined skin care routine for both morning and evening (more on that in coming posts), but trying these samples out gave me a lot of perspective on things which I could swap for better results!
Although not all of it, I did use up a good number, some of which were a miss but most of them were hits! Thankfully no adverse reaction to any of them bar one which isn’t shown here, and I am quite happy to share with you my thoughts.
1. Kiehl’s Micro-Blur Skin Perfector : This is a new release from the brand and I was happy to receive a sample of it on my last visit to the store a month back. I used this in the day time on top of my moisturiser as a primer and it did the following: A) Kept the skin matte and absolutely non oily with an additional skin like glow *magical* B) Covered my pores around the nose and smoothed my skin pretty well C) Whatever I wore on top of it stayed put the whole time
That about sums this up! The sample was pretty generous and I could get 5 uses out of it. You need very tiny amount. I am in LOVE with it but wouldn’t be purchasing it right away as my skin is dry in colder months and even now its not hot here anymore. This is on my Must-Buy-List for next summer!
2. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Oil-Free Cream-Gel : I got this when the temperatures were very high and my skin was literally melting, and even in that weather this was too drying for me! Its nothing like the Clinique DDML gel which I thought it would be. It would work for extremely oily skin types I think, but for me, No!
3. Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution : This was an amazing discovery! I had breakouts last month due to a bad reaction to another sample which I sadly threw away and couldn’t include here. (psst! it was the Zelens moisturiser which is so ridiculously expensive that I am secretly happy my skin HATES it! 😛 ). I then tried the Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Gel (I have to thank Gyudy for this!) and it was a life saver! I have been using the Dark Spot solution on the after marks and they have been rapidly fading, without causing any extra dryness or sensitivity in the area. Thumbs up!
4. L’occitane Immortelle Brightening UV Shield spf 40 and Clarins UV Plus HP spf 40 Day Screen : They are both very similar products in consistency and effect and even their spf ratings are the same. I was lucky to try both and I LOVE them. I have only so far tried traditional sun screens like La Roche Posay and Neutrogena Ultra Sheer which are more like creams or gels and not watery. These are fluid and very matte yet “glowy”, which do a brilliant job of protecting as well as making the skin look healthy! I cannot decide which to get! Help!?
5. Clarins Gentle Renewing Brightening Peel and Gentle Brightening Exfoliator : I have read about this toner for years on blogs and was always curious! I requested for a sample of this at my local counter and was also provided with the manual exfoliator which apparently should be used with it. You need to use the toner on weekdays and on weekends you are to use the manual exfoliator. Anyways, I have tried the toner alone so far on alternate nights and can see the difference in a week! My skin is very even and absolutely no redness in sight. I have another small sample of this, so once I finish using that we’ll see!
6. L’occitane Ultra Rich Body Cream : These were generous samples, almost 7 ml in each sachet! I love them! Have used it at night after my bath and they are wonderfully moisturising. I’d get them in winter may be, as its too rich for summer. Have you tried this one?
7. Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip Cleanser : I saved the most expensive for the last! Well this one my mum uses and likes but not loves. I tried this and really like it! It smells like cucumbers, looks gloopy but beyond that is wonderfully cleansing and nourishing. Its a flowy liquid and less “oily” than most balm cleansers so I like it. I have a lot of cleansers to go through so this would have to wait but definitely on the list!
Have you tried any of the above? Did they work well for you, what are your thoughts?
Thank you so much for reading! 🙂
You can follow me on Bloglovin’ and get updates from the blog. 🙂