Every time I see someone talk about low ph (read light, nude, natural or neutral) nail colors, I stop everything and read! I realized this much earlier in life that bright tips and I weren’t meant to be. A couple of weeks back I saw this post and that made me go through my stash of nail polishes and dig out the nudes, beiges and naturals that I had. I find such nail colors to be sophisticated and neat and they do not interfere nor attract any undue attention or criticism. I have collected my share from across the price and brand spectrum over the years, and they are definitely the majority in my collection.
So here is the list of those fair ones that I own, and I am going to tell you which is my favorite and which you can pass.
1. Dior : Lets start with the ridiculously expensive ones that I have. Dior nail colors are rarely duds and have a huge following for a good reason. I have two of these, one a pinky nude Incognito, and a beige brown Grege. Both are great formula, creamy and opaque in two coats. I sometimes wear just one layer and top it with the shine coat and that gives a hint of color and medium coverage. If you are one for luxury, I don’t think it gets better than this.
2. Sally Hansen : After Dior and OPI, Sally Hansen is my brand of choice. Its not a fail safe option, meaning there have been duds in the formula. I have two here, the one of the left hand is pinky neutral Nude Now, a great color and formula with a bit of peach, pink and beige. The other one is peachy nude Cafe Au Lait which is streaky and a tad too peachy for my liking. Nude Now is the best kind of nude nail color for my skin tone, flesh toned and opaque.
3. Max factor : These are unsung heroes in the nail polish world! I have five nail colors from this brand and most of them brights and the formula is fantastic! Their brush could do with some improvement as its very thin and takes a while to coat the nails, but the actual polish is beautiful. All colors are non streaky and go opaque in two coats and stay put. Shown here is neutral #25 Desert Sand, I think my first nude nail color and a favorite! Its lighter than Grége, and a very pretty beige with no brown in it.
4. Revlon : I have purchased many Revlon nail polishes over the years and have been through multiple bottles of a few shades. One in particular that I loved was Mulberry a pinky-mauve-brown which was beautiful on the nails but have currently run out of it. The one here is peachy neutral Classy, and it is well.. classy! Its one of those nail colors which make your hands look more tanned than they are. I reserve it for colder months.
5. KIKO : Well this neutral KIKO number has been getting a lot of love recently! I stay away from shimmer in any form of makeup and I am extremely picky when I have to buy something with it. This nail color has the finest barely there shimmer which is detectable but in a very gentle way. Its a beautiful light pinky brown with slight silver shimmer running through it. Its a bit sheer when applied so I need a good two or three coats if I have to make it opaque. I usually go with two as thats good enough for me! If you are ever at a KIKO store make sure you swatch #220.
6. Formula X : I don’t think I need to talk about these and tell you how good these are! The beige color Monumental is very similar to Grege, a bit more cool toned. This is a great summer color I think, very close to a creamy white but not as stark!
Here are some swatches on my arm for your reference.
Have you tried any of these? What are your favorite neutral nail colors? Let me Know!
Thank you so much for reading 🙂